[syslinux] Install syslinux on GPT drive with Windows

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 03:22:02 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Erik Sandberg via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to make a drive that can boot with both UEFI and BIOS. I've
> built the drive successfully on my Linux machine, but can't get the drive
> to build with my Windows machine. The only step that's different right now,
> is that I use `extlinux --install /media/drive` to install with Linux, and
> `syslinux.exe --install d:` to install with Windows. In fact, I can prepare

Version number and build source of each might be handy.

> a drive with Windows, try and fail to boot, then stick it in my Linux

How does it fail?

> machine and run `extlinux --install /media/drive` and then it will boot.
> Note that this is a USB flash drive that I've formatted with diskpart as a
> gpt, enabled the gpt legacy boot flag, and installed gptmbr.bin to the
> first 440 bytes of the disk. The only thing that I can't figure out is why
> extlinux --install works but syslinux --install doesn't. Does anyone know
> why this might be?

The most likely answers are Windows AV software, a build interaction, or a bug.

Any chance of getting copies of the VBR, the original, after
syslinux.exe then after extlinux?  If the first two are identical, I'd
look at AV software first.

--
-Gene