[syslinux] syslinux mkisofs hard-disk-boot isohybrid

Pascal patatetom at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 00:44:19 PST 2016

 https://www.kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/

> > >  and with qemu as hard disk on uefi but not on bios.
> >
> > That's even more astounding. The UEFI would have to look into the ISO
> 9660
> > filesystem or interpret the El Torito boot info prepared for BIOS.
>

> I think that "in qemu as hard disk" means that he is not booting it as
> CD-ROM, so no iso9660 in this case; but I could be misinterpreting the
> words.

the iso image is used as a hard disk image like this :
qemu -hda core.iso -bios uefi.fd

uefi.fd (pure) come from https://www.kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/

> > > isohybrid: core.iso: unexpected boot catalogue parameters
> >
> > That's because ISOLINUX boot images are binary programs which get
> registered
> > in the El Torito catalog as "no emulation" images. Your core.img is
> registered
> > (by option -hard-disk-boot) as "hard disk emulation" image.
> >
> > http://git.zytor.com/syslinux/syslinux.git/tree/utils/isohybrid.c
> > bails out in line 526, because variable de_media is 4 and not 0.

rewriting error message ?

> > For BIOS booting from CD-ROM you need to use "isolinux.bin" as boot image
> > which you give to mkisofs via option -b. Instead of
> >

> @Thomas, please remember that, if we forget for a moment about other
> constraints and conditions (e.g. isohybrid, UEFI, whatever), a CD-ROM
> using "El Torito hard disk emulation" can still be bootable in BIOS
> mode.

:-) and do you know how to do ? or is it better to stop with hard-disk-boot
and go on isolinux.bin ?