[syslinux] isohybrid boot from logical partition

Duncan Elliot dmelliot at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 03:22:09 PST 2016

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Since we know that the isolinux.bin binary is well ok on other partitions,
> i'd say that the MBR code does not load the right blocks from disk when
> it wants to get isolinux.bin.

Yes, these are my thoughts as well.  I think the jump from GRUB to the
isohybrid code on the logical partition is working fine, but when the
isohybrid code is trying to jump to isolinux.bin, something about the
partition structure is causing it to look in the wrong spot.

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> What happens if you use a partition editor to delete all MBR partitions
> from the ISO image before you put it into the partition on disk ?
> (An alternative to using a partition editor is
>    dd if=/dev/zero conv=notrunc bs=1 count=64 seek=446 of=...iso
> )

I followed these steps on two of the test ISO's I am using (debian
netinst and clonezilla).
md5sum confirms the ISO's to be different after the "dd"

I then wrote this ISO's to both primary and logical partitions:
In both cases the image boots fine off the primary partition, but not
the logical (the error message remains the same -> "isolinux.bin
missing or corrupt")

What is the thought process of clearing the ISO MBR?

(it's getting late here, so might not reply to any further replies
until tomorrow)

Thanks for you help / suggestions so far
Duncan