[syslinux] isohybrid boot from logical partition

Duncan Elliot dmelliot at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 22:27:20 PST 2016

Thanks for all the input everyone.
I can understand the problem more clearly now.

Didier Spaier wrote:
> Sorry if this is a silly question: why not use a GUID partition
> table instead of using logical partitions?

Not a silly question, I had the same idea and had tried it out but it
didn't work (same error msg).

Ady Ady wrote:
> The typical (modern) "MBR" supports 4 primary bootable partitions. The
> meaning of "bootable" in that context refers to the possibility of
> setting the "boot" flag on (one of) them.

I've not found any need to set any boot flags on primary partitions to
get the booting from primary partitions working, so I don't think the
lack of ability to do this on a logical partition is an issue.

@Thomas, thanks for those links.  It seems clear that this issue has
been around for a while and stems from the relative partition offset
that GRUB passes when jumping to a logical partition.
As per your earlier suggestions, I'll look at testing some other bootloaders.

Taking the point that "Syslinux is partition-table-format agnostic"
I'm guessing that any "fix" that should be made, should be on the GRUB
side, rather than in the isohybrid side?

Thanks,
Duncan