[syslinux] Does 4K sector size fully support?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 4 08:03:33 PST 2016

> Hi syslinux developers,
>
> As the title questions.
> Would like to know the status about 4k sector size support.
>
> I use the latest code build and use these library.
> Then try to boot on efi from my 4k sector size virtual devices.
> It always hangs on bootloader.
>
> I try to use the same bootloader and library on 512 sector size
> virtual devices and it works normal.
>
> Check the previous mail list and git commit. Have seen some discussion
> about that.
> I though syslinux already support 4k sector size. Am I right?
>
> Or just support in some cases?
>
> thanks for reply!!
>
> vicente

My understanding is that "syslinux.efi" should work on devices with 4k
bytes per sector on a FAT volume recognized as the ESP on a GPT scheme.

Using tools, for partitioning and for formatting, that also support 4K
devices should also be a factor.

I would like to assume that "all" UEFI firmware correctly supports
booting to such "4k" devices, but any assumption about UEFI
implementations might be too much to expect in some cases.

I am not sure how/what "virtual" devices can actually be used as "4k"
storage.

My _*guess*_ is that no developer of Syslinux has actually tested this
scenario (i.e. booting syslinux.efi on "4k" devices), but I could be
wrong.

Regards,
Ady.