[syslinux] binutils (objcopy?) >= 2.26 breaks syslinux (bios) build

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 13 01:01:26 PST 2016

> > Yes, it is a bug in ld.  I have been working with H.J. and we have just tracked it down.
> >

> It seems that hjl helped, after all.
>
> Syslinux built, or better to write, linked with:
> binutils 2.26.51.20160212 git 95c00d1 is salt-n-pepa.
>
> Both, ISOLINUX and EXTLINUX have passed the test on both, SeaBIOS and Bare-metal.
>
> Thanks hpa.

This means that Fedora would need to (or "should") patch its binutils
2.26 package, at least until a new upstream binutils is released.

Considering that a Mass Rebuild was already performed for F24, then an
updated, patched binutils would probably generate new, working
Syslinux-related packages. Otherwise, these packages for/in F24 will be
probably failing.

I would guess that Slackware _might_ find itself in some similar
circumstances (especially so close to a new stable release).

Now, Ubuntu and Debian (unstable / testing / experimental / Sid) might
find similar problems with binutils 2.26 and Syslinux-related packages,
but both distros already have more-than-enough troubles / confusion /
misinformation and lack of maintenance regarding their respective
Syslinux-related packages. This would be just another one.

Some downstream distros might be affected in similar ways.

As for Gentoo and Arch Linux, neither is using version 2.26 of binutils
yet.

Regards,
Ady.