[syslinux] Building a http query string including SMBIOS Serial Number to load a specific kernel

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 17:25:13 PST 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Geert Stappers via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 06:07:15PM -0200, Leandro Becker via Syslinux wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> There is a way to get the system serial number from SMBIOS and pass it
>> as HTTP query string to get the kernel and initrd?
>> Something like this:
>>
>> LABEL OS Download
>>       MENU LABEL Clonezilla
>>       MENU INDENT 1
>>       KERNEL http://192.168.10.10/kernel.php?type=kernel (
>> http://myserver/kernel.php?SN=SMBIOS_SERIAL_NUMBER&type=kernel
>> )&SN=SMBIOS_SERIAL_NUMBER
>>       APPEND
>> initrd=http://192.168.10.10/kernel.php?type=initrd&SN=SMBIOS_SERIAL_NUMBER
>> boot=live ...
>>
>> I found that SYSAPPEND is able to get info from SMBIOS, but there is a
>> way to accomplish what I'm trying to do, i.e. replace
>> SMBIOS_SERIAL_NUMBER somehow with the real serial number?
>> Maybe Menu.c32 have a feature to do something like this?
>
> I don't know.
> This E-mail is to that Syslinux has lua.c32
> That Lua intpreter can get SMBIOS information and boot a Linux kernel

menu.c32 (and vesamenu.c32) are documented in doc/menu.txt and no such
feature exists at this time.

A more universal answer would be enhancing linux.c32 to provide this
function.  Consider adding it as a feature-request bug in
http://bugzilla.syslinux.org/

--
-Gene