[syslinux] Embedding com32 modules and ldlinux.sys into one file

Tal Lubko tallubko at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 12 13:21:38 PST 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 07:20:20PM -0500, Shao Miller via Syslinux wrote:
> Good day, Tal.
>
> Perhaps if you describe a little bit more about the rationale behind
> this single-file requirement, someone might be able to make an
> alternative suggestion that you haven't thought of.
>
> The BIOS- and disk-based Syslinux bootstrapping actually often has a
> filesystem-specific piece of code that lives in the filesystem's
> meta-data, as well as the primary file and COMBOOT32 modules that
> you are thinking of.  Because of that first piece, it's not really
> possible to have this kind of Syslinux as a single file.
>
> But if you were to share a few more details, perhaps you're thinking
> of a PXE environment or a CD environment or a new filesystem or...?
> Are you able to describe the sequence of boot-up events that occur
> before the point you are thinking of?
>
> Yes, you can print debug-output from custom builds.

Hi Shao

The requirement is for the bootloader to be stored on the BIOS flash chip
which will be read only.
The BIOS will be modified to load bootloader from this chip.
To simplify things and to avoid the need for a file system, I thought to
store the bootloader as a single file.
I don't reject the idea of using a very simple file-system to store the
different bootloader files and loading it into RAM.

Diving in I understand there are probably more difficulties I'll have to
face.
I'll be glad to get experts opinions and ideas about the difficulties I'll
have to face and how to face it.

Regarding my other question (debugging). I know it is possible to use prints
for debugging.
I wonder if there is another way.

Regards,
Tal