[syslinux] EFI Reboot Timer

Bateman, Matt matt.bateman at xo.com
Fri Jan 15 13:23:44 PST 2016

I am working on setting up a global boot server that serves up files across the WAN. I am running into a 5 minute timer that is rebooting my hosts before they can complete the kernel and initrd file download.

The servers in questions are HP DL60s, and they use UEFI. I am using syslinux.efi version 6.03. They get the kernel file from the TFTP server in about 2 ½ minutes, then get 2 ½ more minutes into the download of the initrd file when the host reboots and starts over.

I see there is a 300 second timeout in pxelinux, but not sure if that applies to syslinux.efi as well.

Is there anything I can do from DHCP or the config file that will change that timeout so my downloads can complete? Or is there a way to have syslinux.efi use something other than TFTP to get the kernel/initrd files (FTP, HTTP, etc)? TFTP is inherently slow across the WAN since every packet has to be acknowledge before the next one can be sent.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Bateman