[syslinux] SYSLINUX fails to boot from Kingston DT Micro 3.1 64GB

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 16 04:29:11 PST 2016

> I've recently got a new flash drive (Kingston DT Micro 3.1 64GB) and
> found my existing SYSLINUX 6.02 fails to load on it, it just shows the
> version info and hangs forever.
>
> I've tried 6.03 as well as the latest git revision (currently
> 5483860), they both give me "Failed to load ldlinux.c32"
> The same builds and config work on my Kingston DT 101 G3 32GB. Both
> are formatted as NTFS
>
> Any suggestions? Or anything I can do to help debug this?
>
> Thanks

The following are somewhat generic points to consider. Some of them
might be less relevant for your particular troubleshooting case than
others.

_ Have you tested with the official built-in binaries downloaded from
kernel.org? Or, are you building your own v.6.03 binaries (or from some
package from some distro)?

_ Are there any BIOS updates available for this particular system?

_ Have you tried plugging the USB device in a different USB (2.0) port?
Are you using a USB cable, or are you plugging the USB device directly?
Is there any additional hardware to consider (e.g. USB hub, connection
converter, disk case enclosure...)?

_ Have you tried booting a different (BIOS) system with this same USB
device?

_ Considering that a similar USB device (with a smaller size)
successfully boots, have you considered partitioning the storage
device? Since a 32GB device boots OK, I would suggest testing with a
first ("active") partition *smaller* than 32GB and having additional
partitions (instead of having only one big partition).

_ What are the values of:
 _ physical sector size for the device(s);
 _ logical sector size for the device(s);
 _ cluster (aka "allocation unit") size (in "bytes per cluster" and in
"sectors per cluster") for the boot NTFS partition (for each of the
devices you are testing);
 _ the start sector value (aka absolute offset) of the first partition
(for each of the devices you are testing);

I am assuming that the first partition is also the "active" partition,
and it is also the partition in which SYSLINUX has been installed. Are
these assumptions correct?

_ Were there any "cloning" tasks performed from/to any of these
devices/partitions? Are there any other operations involved in your
procedure(s)?

_ How exactly have you installed SYSLINUX and the MBR code on *each* of
these USB devices?

Regards,
Ady.