[syslinux] Embedding com32 modules and ldlinux.sys into one file

Tal Lubko tallubko at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 00:07:58 PST 2016

Hi

Thanks a lot for the answers given.
I think I should change this conversion topic to "storing the bootloader inside the BIOS chip" or something similar.
I now understand a little bit more about the boot process and see that it is more complicated than just Embedding the com32 module into ldlinux.sys.

To summarize the answers, the option I see now are:

1) Exposing the bootloader in the BIOS as a (readonly) disk drive using standard BIOS or EFI interfaces (hpa suggestion).
This suggestion looks very promising. It probably requires some changes in the BIOS. I'm not sure if it requires changes in the bootloader.
There is one potential problem I see: the bootloader is stored on some flashrom chip and the Linux image is stored on a different storage device.
I think that right now the bootloader assumes they are stored on the same storage device. Am I wrong?
If I'm wrong, how do I tell the bootloader to load the Linux image from a different storage device?

2) The ROMOS project (Sergii suggestion).
As far as I understand, basically this project creates virtual ROM disk image that can be used for the boot sequence. So this is somehow similar to hpa suggestion.
I'll try to play with it a little bit.

3) EDK2, Coreboot, or uboot.
I can say nothing about it right now.

Thanks again for your help,