[syslinux] Embedding com32 modules and ldlinux.sys into one file

Tal Lubko tallubko at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 12:50:58 PST 2016

The size of the ROM chip I'm going to use will be at least 16 MB.
I'm not sure how big the BIOS image is but probably I'll have enough room for Linux image there as well.
I want to avoid it because:
- It will be harder to upgrade Linux image located on ROM
- It will be probably much slower to load Linux image located on ROM

> - which chip do you plan to flash to, motherboard BIOS or option ROM?

If I understand you correctly, I'm going to flash the motherboard BIOS.

> Also, ROMOS comes without a license, so you'll have to contact the
> author for commercial usage.
> On other hand, ROMDSK is GPLed, and you can just comply. I would
> suggest to actually try both.

OK

> For ROM disk sizes greater than 62kB, which can't fit into a window in
> low memory, you will need to use some other memdisk code, utilizing
> either protected mode or flash controller in IO mode.

I don't understand completely what you wrote and probably lack some knowledge about protected mode, IO mode etc.
Why does ROM disk should fit low memory?