[syslinux] Booting XFS in GPT with EXTLINUX

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 21 21:16:39 PST 2016

> On 01/08/2016 05:06 AM, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> >
> > 2_ In "mbr/mbr.S" as of v.6.03, there is specific code for XFS' VBRs.
> >
> > Besides the resulting "mbr.bin", are others "bios/mbr/*.bin" binaries
> > capable of a similar / equivalent resulting feature (i.e. using XFS as
> > boot partition for EXTLINUX)?
> >
> > If this feature is currently (v.6.03) available only to "mbr.bin", is
> > there a way to make this feature more "*mbr*.bin"-generic, making it
> > available to additional "bios/mbr/*.bin" binaries? Would this feature
> > be useful / needed for any other "bios/mbr/*.bin" binary?
> >

> It would, indeed.
>
> > Is there a need to add a similar / equivalent feature to "gptmbr.S"?
> > Or, in other words, can XFS be used to boot EXTLINUX in a GPT scheme
> > (in BIOS)? Normally, I would had tested this matter before asking here;
> > unfortunately I am unable to perform tests at this time (and will be
> > unable to test for the foreseeable future).
>
> Yes, it is needed.
>
> 	-hpa

Although the subject of this email mentions GPT, I would like to keep
the issue opened to as many "./mbr/*.bin" variants as possible.

Whether potential patching code could be specific for GPT, or more
generic (improving / expanding the feature to more "./mbr/*" variants),
I have no idea.

If Peter's answers (quoted in this email) are on point, I hope this
matter can actually be implemented (Is there anyone willing to take the
challenge? Perhaps Paulo?).

TIA,
Ady.