[syslinux] non-standard (PCI) Serial port

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 03:07:30 PDT 2016

> I'm trying to get isolinux serial port working on a system.  Using
> UEFI boot mode but system does not have Legacy Serial port (3f8, etc)
> enabled.  Serial port devices are PCI devices, memory mapped I/O with
> 32-bit offset.  Using linux kernel command line
> console=uart8250,mmio32,xxxx,115200n8 works.  However I do not see
> syslinux/isolinux boot menu.
>
> Looking through the code it looks like syslinux assumes serial ports
> are I/O only and do not use EFI boot services Serial Port?

I am not a developer, but there are several "efiser.h" files included
in the code.

Although I don't have a definitive and clear answer to your question, I
would suggest posting your entire configuration file too. That way,
there might be someone that might try to replicate the behavior you are
describing.

Additionally, you mentioned "isolinux serial port" and "UEFI". ISOLINUX
is for BIOS only (not UEFI), and, as of version 6.03, "syslinux.efi" is
not capable of booting from optical media, so perhaps that's the real
problem? Perhaps we need additional clear details?

Regards,
Ady.