[syslinux] no boot, no message

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 7 08:00:56 PDT 2016

> I have syslinux 5.10 on a 32bit gentoo system. It boots fine. Now I
> installed another linux system in other partitions of the same drive

Hmm, partitions... OK.

> (a 64 bit system), updated syslinux.cfg, setup the new system as
> default, and the new entry appears in the menu. Problem is: it doesn't
> boot. On timeout, it starts counting down again, and that's it. No
> error message whatsoever. Selecting the old system by hand boots it as
> usual.
>
> Is it normal for extlinux to not produce an error message?

It depends on the "error". The menu combined with the timeout might be
overwriting any (error) message on the screen.

> The extlinux partition is sda1, with ext2 fs. The motherboard is ASUS
> H97-PRO. It is configured to work in CSM mode. Some maybe relevant data:

 (snip)

> Thanks,
>
> Jorge Almeida

We would need at least:

A_ the partitions and directory structure in which the following items
are _located_ :

A1_ each of the kernels + initrd + any other file relevant to the boot
process and/or mentioned in the syslinux.cfg file;

A2_ the syslinux.cfg file;

A3_ any file related to EXTLINUX, such as "ldlinux.*" and "*.c32"
modules;

B_ the complete content of the syslinux.cfg file.

Probably by using "PROMPT 1", no TIMEOUT and no (vesa)menu.c32, some
message might show up. Let's see first the required info.

Regards,
Ady.