[syslinux] no boot, no message

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 7 10:47:38 PDT 2016

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Ady Ady via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> >

> > vmlinuz-huge-4.4.14
> >

> > vmlinuz--huge-4.4.14
> >

> > I could post some additional comments / suggestions, but perhaps this
> > is just a simple typo issue?
>
> Indeed it is, and I can't believe how much time I lost with this. Thanks.
>
> If you had suggestions on how to make syslinux spill out some error
> message in such a case (kernel not found...) it would be great. I was
> not able to find it in the documentation.
>
> Jorge

The KISS principle :).

A simplified basic syslinux.cfg:

*** syslinux.cfg start ***

DEFAULT slack64
PROMPT 1

LABEL slack64
        MENU LABEL Slackware 14.2
        LINUX ../slackware/vmlinuz--huge-4.4.14
        APPEND root=/dev/sda7

LABEL gentoo
        MENU LABEL Gentoo
        LINUX ../gentoo/vmlinuz
        APPEND root=/dev/sda2

*** syslinux.cfg end ***

should be expected to boot to the SYSLINUX boot prompt (no menu) and
wait for your input ("PROMPT 1", no "TIMEOUT"). Pressing ENTER at the
boot prompt, the DEFAULT label ("slack64") should be executed. But,
since the file won't be found (because of the typo), some kind of
message should be shown and then the Syslinux boot prompt should be
back on screen, awaiting your next input.

>From the same boot prompt, launching ls.c32 and pwd.c32 might give a
clue in simple cases (file name mismatch, inadequate path...).

Regards,
Ady.