[syslinux] EFI booting from WDS using SYSLINUX - is this possible?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 05:46:11 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Jackson, Dan via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> The latest batch of computers that are being purchased by our organisation appear to be UEFI-only.

I've never seen this.  In my experience, you can disable secure boot
then enable the CSM to boot legacy-BIOS mode.

> Our WDS installation can network boot such devices, but goes straight into WDS rather than letting us have our SYSLINUX menu.
>
> Is there a way to set up SYSLINUX for use with WDS in EFI mode? Can it chain into WDS proper as one of the menu items like the legacy BIOS version can?

Not as is.  You need to be able to chainload to another EFI binary
which Syslinux currently lacks.  I believe there's a pending patch
though I seem to recall it being quite different in coding style and
needing changing first.

> If so, please could someone point me towards the instructions for setting this up?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Jackson (Lead ITServices Technician).
> Long Road Sixth Form College
> Cambridge, UK.
>

> [cid:26february20160c287f]
>
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.
> If you receive this email by mistake please notify the sender and delete it immediately.
> This communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions which do not necessarily reflect those of Long Road Sixth Form College.
>
> Disclaimer added by CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2010
> www.codetwo.com<http://www.codetwo.com/?sts=1048>

Too bad the MTA doesn't understand mailing lists and the public nature
of the archive of this mailing list.

--
-Gene