[syslinux] Making a 6.04

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Jun 13 20:58:33 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 05:35:13AM +0300, Ady wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 07:03:05PM -0400, Gene Cumm wrote:
> > On May 31, 2016 6:31 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > > There seem to be a bunch of bug fixes in the 6.04 branch that people
> > > really need.  Do we know of any current regressions?  Otherwise we
> > > really ought to just push the button...
> > >

> > How about the recently introduced weak issue?
>
> How about the "HIDDEN" issue? How about updating and testing the
> gnu-efi submodule? How about the "keeppxe" patch (perhaps solving a bug
> that has been present since v.5+)?

I think that 'the recently introduced weak issue' and 'the "keeppxe" patch'
are the same. http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2016-June/025216.html

> Or how about the feedback I wrote
> when 6.04-pre1 was released? How about a "gptmbr.bin" that supports
> XFS? How about the many regressions still present, for so many years?
> And the pending patches?
>
> [sarcasm mode on]
> Let's have an automatic daily build! Moreover, let's have an automatic
> daily release! One new official release version every single day. That
> way, the so many many many users of Syslinux 6+ would get a newer
> updated version, with a shiny new number, every single day! Yeah, I'm
> sure that would solve all the problems.
> [sarcasm mode off]

That is called CI  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_integration )
[serious mode continued]

> I seriously doubt that there are many people actually requesting for an
> updated release, except maybe for super-lazy maintainers that don't
> really care (and I am able to prove this with facts, but I won't waste
> my own time with something that won't be even read).
>
> I wish and hope for actual development. Shiny and, at this point,
> completely useless numbers, won't change the facts.

The good thing I see in a new version number is "Let's move forward"

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven