[syslinux] Locally-loaded syslinux.efi with remote HTTP config?

Alexander Perlis aperlis at math.lsu.edu
Fri Jun 17 17:27:17 PDT 2016

Question:
   If syslinux.efi is loaded locally off USB rather than via an EFI PXE
option ROM boot, but on a client whose EFI firmware has TCP support,
should that locally-booted syslinux.efi be able to process HTTP URLs?
Initial experiments indicate "no", but why not?

Purpose:
   My TCP-capable EFI client is on a subnetwork with broken DHCP not
under my control, so I can't achieve a traditional network PXE boot to
my PXE server; as a solution, I seek a simple USB-based shim that will
boot locally and then chain me over to my PXE server. Attempts with ipxe
snponly weren't immediately successful, meanwhile I started wondering
whether I can just use syslinux.efi locally to achieve this? My
syslinux.efi is configured thus:

   -a next-server ip.of.pxe.server

   -a config-file name.of.pxe.server.config

   -a path-prefix http://ip.of.pxe.server/

I would guess under local boot that next-server is ignored, but
path-prefix should still come into play, no? When syslinux.efi sees an
"http" URL after having been booted via an actual network EFI PXE option
ROM, instead of trying to call an underlying PXE stack that would talk
only TFTP, doesn't syslinux.efi bypass that and instead use the
underlying EFI firmware's TCP capability to do an HTTP transfer? So then
in principle couldn't it also do that whether or not an underlying
unneeded PXE stack were even present in the first place? In other words,
when syslinux.efi is booted locally, the EFI firmware still has TCP
capability, so why can't syslinux.efi process the HTTP URL?

Thanks,
Alex