[syslinux] Mboot.c32 and LUKS

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 03:54:41 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 5:44 PM, H. Peter Anvin via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 06/14/16 14:03, Евгений Соболев via Syslinux wrote:
>> Hello.
>> I want to make ESXi on LUKS encrypted partition.
>> ESXi uses Mboot.c32.
>>
>> Can the Mboot.c32 work with luks-encrypted?
>> If it is possible, where i can see an example?
>>

> You rather inherently can't boot from an encrypted partition.  You need
> your boot partition unencrypted; the initial ramdisk or ESXi equivalent
> should take it from there.

ESXi is NOT Linux.  VMware took Syslinux 3.86 then did closed-source
enhancements on mboot.c32 to allow for using a config file.

Look at doing some sort of PXE load like AutoDeploy or
hardware-dependent full disk encryption (which will be transparent to
Syslinux and ESXi) if you don't like the defaults.

--
-Gene