[syslinux] Locally-loaded syslinux.efi with remote HTTP config?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jun 21 14:33:48 PDT 2016

On 06/18/16 03:50, Gene Cumm via Syslinux wrote:

> UEFI is very different.  There's no option ROM nor PXE stack.
> Generally speaking, the underlying UEFI system has to get NIC drivers
> (commonly built-in) and initialize the network through a round of DHCP
> or static configuration.  I don't know of any UEFI overview/tutorial
> without Googling for one.

Actually, for an external NIC there is still an option ROM.  The UEFI
network stack is referred to as "PXE" even though it is nothing like the
BIOS PXE stack.

>>> would talk only TFTP, doesn't syslinux.efi bypass that and instead
>>> use the underlying EFI firmware's TCP capability to do an HTTP
>>> transfer? So then in principle couldn't it also do that whether or
>
> Actually, for TFTP syslinux.efi uses UDPv4Sb instead of one of the TFTP methods.

The real question is whether or not the UEFI firmware actually
initializes the network stack (or if there is a way to do so that
actually works on real systems) when not booted from the network.  I
will try to research that question.