[syslinux] Syslinux 6.04-pre1

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 5 08:00:08 PST 2016

> After so much time and improvements, I'm glad to see and publicize a
> pre-release, 6.04-pre1 in
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/6.04/
>
> Personally, I've already been working testing the pre-release as-is
> and my tests have been positive so far.  I appreciate feedback like
> that from Gabriele Balducci and testing "make bios installer".

_ Please don't forget about updating the gnu-efi submodule to the
newest commit (not now but rather just before a relevant pre-release).
This also would need testing.

_ IMHO, it would be very desirable to update (some of the) code that is
included in Syslinux, _while testing for regressions_ (especially if
some feature has been dropped from those), e.g. jpeg, libpng, gfxboot
(from github), zlib, lzo, gdb... If not to a new major version of
those, at least they should be updated to the latest respective minor
versions. IMHO, this is the only way to really narrow down reported
problems (e.g. jpg/png background, or certain kernels not loading as
expected...).

_ IMHO, not having some "gptmbr.bin" supporting XFS would be kind of
embarrassing. Imagine including in the changelog something about the
support for the newest XFS version but with a caveat "only in MBR, not
GPT".

If the current mbr/*.bin cannot be patched, then perhaps adding a new,
specific one supporting XFS could be an alternative. Of course,
patching mbr/*.bin would be better than adding a new specific one.

_ Patching chain.c32 so to correctly support the current Reactos
loader. The current code in chain.c32 fails because the default values
for Reactos are outdated (and no longer working, for several years
now).

_ Additionally, the "keeppxe" argument has been broken since v.5+, and
still is as of v6.03. keeppxe is also required for netbooting Reactos.

This is only a partial list, and these are not necessarily the most
important items to my own needs / wishes.

TIA,
Ady.