[syslinux] "Tick-counting" vs "Tick-less" timekeeping issues on VMs emulating BIOS PCs

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 05:31:06 PST 2016

It's been a while since I bothered looking at the lpxelinux.0/TFTP
issue in my VMware Workstation VMs.  From what I recall, the vmxnet3
had the biggest issues and the others vlance/pcnet32, e1000, and
e1000e, still had issues but to a far lower extent, topping out around
1-2 MB/s.

Working in a VMware vSphere environment, VMware Workstation is a
better fit for me and has been my primary testing area for years.  At
the moment, I have at least 6 different VMs on my main PC with
different configs whose sole purpose is Syslinux testing.  vmxnet3 is
designed to move data with the least CPU overhead possible when used
with a typical OS.  e1000/e1000e can get into the 2-2.5 Gbps range
when intrahost and across a 10+ Gbps vmnic uplink but vmxnet3 can push
past this with relative ease.

-Gene
<<<

I also use VMs under Workstation a lot; for testing and also Syslinux
development. You are right e1000e is "considered" a 1GB driver while
vmxnet3 is a 10GB.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better implementing a lwIP RAW(udp_pcb)
approach instead; the netcon interface seems slow. This way we could
start receiving packets even before sending the first TFTP request...

I have also detected ARP issues; lwip asks, it receives an answer
but it asks again... legacy does not need ARP, the UNDI stack knows about it,
then why should we bother about ARP with lwip?

BTW lwIP received lot of fixes on v1.4.1 I've tried a quick
update I understand there are a few changes from the original code
in Syslinux like lwip_init_mem(), the size of the MAC address, etc,
but failed when running; Have you tried running 1.4.1?

Best,
Patrick