[syslinux] Syslinux 6.04-pre1

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 15:47:58 PST 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 6:00 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 03/08/2016 02:53 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:
>>
>> Poma, in my opinion, this behavior means it's your/Fedora's responsibility
>> to propose a change that distinguishes between broken and working NASM
>> 2.11.06 or revert the commit in your/Fedora's build.
>>

> Yes, it is highly problematic to have especially build tools with
> version numbers that don't match upstream having different capabilities.
>
> It is further problematic that other bug fixes isn't pulled in.  2.11.06
> is missing quite a few.  As NASM maintainer, I would be happy to work
> with distributors to see what needs to be done to have a proper
> maintenance branch.

NASM 2.11.06 was released 2014-10-17 while NASM 2.11.07 was released
2014-12-09 with the commit in question on 2014-11-29.  Syslinux 6.03
was released 2014-10-06 and this issue was reported by 2014-11-19.
With such a small timeframe between NASM releases and the long time
before 6.04-pre1, the first pre-release since 6.03, I expected distros
to actually move up to a working build instead of distributing the
broken NASM like you used, not have to explicitly inform users their
build environment is broken.

--
-Gene