[syslinux] Anyone know whats up with wiki?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 05:36:14 PST 2016

> On 2/26/2016 07:37, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> > 1_ At the bottom-center, of each wiki page, there used to be a:
> >   "This page has been accessed 'N' times."
> >
> > message, in which 'N' was a number that (I think) comes from setting:
> >
> > $wgDisableCounters = true;
>
> It is there, now.  Sorry, but due to MediaWiki chaos, the statistics are
> starting fresh from today.
>
> > Additionally, there used to be a "Special:PopularPages" page, available
> > as an item at:
> >
> > Special Pages -> Data and Tools -> (Wiki) Popular Pages
>
> It is there, now.
>
> > These two seem to be separate features in the wiki, but of course they
> > are related.
> >

> > 2_ Additional links that are not in the Special Pages wiki page anymore
> > (and they used to be):
> >
> > _ Special Pages -> Lists of pages -> Pages linking to disambiguation
> > pages
> >
> >     ( Special:Disambiguations )
>
> It is there, now.
>
> > _ Special Pages -> Media reports and uploads -> File path
> >
> >     ( Special:ListFiles )
>
> It is there, now.
>
> > _ Special Pages -> High use pages -> Most linked-to templates
> >
> >     ( Special:MostLinkedTemplates )
>
> Do you use this?  It's proving difficult to track down.

Thank you for taking care of the other issues in the wiki.

I have used Special:MostLinkedTemplates a couple of times, but
considering that the amount of templates in the Syslinux wiki is not
_that_ high, I guess it is not a high priority. I wonder, though, why
would this particular "mostlinked" would be _that_ different than
others that are indeed included, or whether there are other cases
similar to this one (that I/we have not remembered / identified).

Anyway, not a high priority.

> > 3_ Additionally, the current layout of the Special Pages wiki page
> > seems to be one column of links (under each section / subtitle of the
> > page). The layout for this page used to be a list of links (under each
> > section) distributed in two columns (not one).
> >
> > This is not critical, but perhaps there are other layouts that used to
> > be different and that now might have some impact on readers, browsers,
> > the presentation of certain wiki pages and so on. So, it would be nice
> > to have a similar layout as it used to be (not just in the Special
> > Pages wiki page, but any other that might have been in use in other
> > pages; I wish I knew more details).
>
> I do not observe the same thing.  I observe two columns.

The presentation is dependent on web browser. IMHO, wiki pages should
be as neutral as possible. I do not know why the 2-column that used to
be there has now changed (after the mediawiki update) for some web
browser(s).

Well, at least we should be aware that some users might see a different
presentation / results when we edit a wiki page in the Syslinux wiki.

> > This is what I have found for now. I hope that these comments might
> > help fully reconstruct the wiki.
>
> Thank you for these findings, Ady.
>
> - Shao Miller
> https://synthetel.ca

I have noticed that in wikis using more recent versions of mediawiki,
the "pre" HTML tag (and/or using an initial space character, for
pre-formatted text) results in a different presentation than in older
versions. In newer versions, the pre-formatted text is wrapped. This is
independent of the web browser.

There is a "pre style="white-space: pre-wrap" (among other
alternatives) that would affect the result in some way or another
regarding wrapping text in between "pre" tags, so the simple "pre"
should not wrap, as it is happening in newer versions. Is this a bug?

Any document I have read related to mediawiki and text formatting still
says that the "pre" tag should respect the text as typed-in by the
user, not automatically wrapping.

I haven't been able to find any relevant info. I have contacted
#mediawiki (as suggested in the mediawiki.org site) but I have received
no replies (after waiting for hours and hours while posting the
question more than once already).

Please note that using an initial space character for presenting
pre-formatted text is affected in the same way as the "pre" tag.

I realize that this is not about Syslinux itself, but it affects the
Syslinux wiki after the recent update to a newer version of mediawiki
(and several wikis of Linux distros); the (unexpected and undesirable)
wrapping was not happening before the mediawiki update (we were using
1.20alpha before the update to 1.27alpha).

Considering that several distributions also use mediawiki, I know that
this has affected other sites too. Any "long" command (or an "append"
long line, for instance) that used to be presented in a "long" one-line
is now presented in a wrapped multiple-line text (according to the
screen width / resolution / zoom), which can generate confusion or
misunderstandings to some readers.

So I thought, maybe there is someone here that might be able to help,
or that might have the possibility to contact more knowledgeable
people. Any clue / tip / suggestion is welcome.

TIA,
Ady.