[syslinux] Adding image file support for Windows

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 09:21:56 PST 2016

On 3/11/2016 22:32, Phil Garcia via Syslinux wrote:
> I would like to request that SYSLINUX be extended to install on a filesystem
> image file on the Windows platform. This feature is available on Linux
> (option -t); however, on Windows SYSLINUX only installs with a raw device
> path.
>
> This feature would be use by another open source project. As an small
> incentive, I'll offer a small, token bounty ($50) for the developer that
> implements and successfully merges the code into the SYSLINUX source code
> repository.

Which filesystem(s) and which Windows version(s)?

For NTFS, there is a significant challenge: Windows' NTFS driver is the
only reliable driver for writing new files to a Windows-formatted NTFS
filesystem.  That driver happens to require a disk, as opposed to an
image-file.

Depending on your Windows version, drivers such as WinVBlock, Firadisk,
ImDisk might be options for you.  Newer Windows versions support certain
image-file formats as virtual disks, as well.

- Shao Miller