[syslinux] Changes to get CD to boot on EFI System.

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Tue Mar 22 08:26:15 PDT 2016

On 22/03/2016 15:48, Michael D. Setzer II via Syslinux wrote:
> I've been the maintainer of the G4L project since 2004, and have had great
> success using syslinux, but yesterday I ran into a machine that would not
> boot from the CD. The system system was a Lenovo L540 notebook, and it
> seems to use EFI? Disabled the Secure EFI, but it still would not boot.
> Comes up with the syslinux menu and seems to load the kernel, but then it
> just stops. Never shows the message about finding the filesystem and
> that went fine, and it setup an EFI boot from grub. Tried loaded the g4l from
> the grub using the same method as non-EFI machine, but it seems to do the
> same thing.
>
> Is there a process to convert a non-EFI CD system into a system that
> supports EFI, or does one need to create two different setups. Not sure if this
> is something about this notebook, or if it is required by EFI systems.
>
> Have newer desktop systems from Lenovo, and they don't have this issue.
>
> Looked online for EFI info, and never found something that explained how to
> setup an image that would do non-EFI and EFI booting, so thought it would
> just be an process of turning off the EFI to make an image, but that doesn't
> seem to work? Is there documentation that explains how to do this, or is it still
> being worked out.

I came across something like that if I understand well:
http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2014-November/022780.html

So using syslinux fot EFI booting off an optical media on which an ISO
image is written was not possible then and is still not possible as far
as I know.

I didn't heard of plans to change that situation, please someone correct
me if I am wrong.

Didier