[syslinux] Changes to get CD to boot on EFI System.

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 22 11:02:34 PDT 2016

> I proposed to mention this peculiarity in the isohybrid article of the
> SYSLINUX wiki, but Ady, the only other person who commented on that
> proposal, had objections.
>

> Ady:
>
> I understand that it is sub-optimal to deprecate the project's
> EFI software in favor of the competition without even knowing
> why exactly SYSLINUX EFI fails to boot out of an ISO 9660 filesystem.
> But as we see, the question re-occurs after a few months.
>
> How can we augment
>   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=ISOLINUX
>   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Isohybrid
> so that users do not believe to have missed the trick for UEFI booting
> from optical media ?
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

If users want to find the "--uefi" parameter for the isohybrid command,
it is already there, documented. If someone doesn't succeed in this
matter, it is not for lack of documentation, but rather because they
don't even contact this Syslinux Mailing List nor read documentation
(at all, in some cases); I won't even bother mentioning the (many)
cases I know of relevant developers in popular Linux distros completely
"misunderstanding" (to put it gently) the matter in question.

I have tried to explain the issues in several ways, more than once, in
this Syslinux Mailing List (and not only here). I have actually
followed up some of the consequences of some of those discussions, and
I must say, I was deeply disappointed. Even posting a _starting step_
(yet, very possibly "not-perfect") FAT image for (future) UEFI booting
optical media has been either disregarded or misunderstood.

BTW, the official ".txt/isolinux.txt" documentation currently included
in the official Syslinux archives is _really_ outdated (and that
document is not the only one). Additionally, several potential patches
for "mkdiskimage" and for "isohybrid" have been ignored / wasted /
missed.

Let users keep asking; maybe such reiterative questions might build-up
some kind of reference, documentation, or - dare I say it - actual code
improvements or the addition of needed / wanted features.

Regards,
Ady.