[syslinux] Trying to build bootable iso but very confused by syslinux documentation

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon May 2 23:31:50 PDT 2016

Hi,

John Lewis wrote:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomizationFromScratch
>
> The show stopper for me was the mkisofs because the closest command I
> had available was xorrisofs and I think a switch was different.

If you have questions about xorrisofs, then just ask me. :))

The web page advises to install genisoimage, a mkisofs clone, but
shows its examples with mkisofs. Replace "mkisofs" by "geisoimage"
and you should be on the track which the author of the page intends.

As for xorrisofs options, all three programs mkisofs, genisoimage, and
xorrisofs are supposed to perform the shown ISO production run:

  sudo mkisofs -r -V "$IMAGE_NAME" -cache-inodes -J -l -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o ../ubuntu-remix.iso .

(But i really wonder why one needs to be superuser to create an
 ISO 9660 filesystem.)

So what are your actual symptoms of failure with ISO production ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas