[syslinux] syslinux vs isolinux - com32 serial port output problem

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri May 13 03:05:14 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Janz, Burt via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> Hi Geert,
>
> I'm building syslinux 6.04 from scratch to prevent any issues with mismatched com32 modules.  This gives me a "pure" set of modules as well as "pure" isolinux and syslinux cores.

6.04 hasn't seen a full release, only the pre1 pre-release.

> menu.c32 works perfectly on both the USB and CD boot media: I can move around the menu and select the command that I wish to use.  In all cases, both the USB and CD boot properly into the Linux kernel.  I cannot plug both a USB and CD into this system at the same time, so I'm quite sure that I'm booting from the correct media.  For that matter, the BIOS even says "Boot from CD" and displays the isolinux-debug.bin messages before the menu appears - but only when booting from CD.

I'm guessing physically the machine has 1 USB port and you're using a
USB-CD drive.  This shouldn't be an issue but may be suspect.  Tried
any machines with an IDE/SATA CD drive?  Considered modifying
linux.c32 instead and calling it?  This would allow you to test
without ever loading menu.c32

isolinux-debug.bin is for debugging the loading of isolinux.bin, not
items later in the boot process like ldlinux.c32, the config or
menu.c32.

--
-Gene