[syslinux] linking external library into module

jeff.williams at pideso.com jeff.williams at pideso.com
Tue Sep 20 10:53:56 PDT 2016

I'm hoping this tickles some dendrites as both google and the various
documentation doesn't seem to provide any insight.

I'm writing a com32 module for use on a x86-32 machine with a BIOS (not
EFI). The code that I write into the module executes correctly. However,
I also have a static library that has several routines that I want to
use. The static library doesn't rely on any other library for symbol
resolution (e.g. no requirement for libc or anything else - it's just a
collection of black-box algorithms).

When I link the library, but don't call any functions contained in the
library, my com32 module code still works correctly, albeit not using
the functionality found in the library. When I call a function or two in
the library from my module code, things might or might not work
correctly. If they go south, either I end up with the CPU running in
circles or I get a seg-fault trying to execute an invalid address.
Interestingly, if I *do* get a successful run when using one of the
library functions, doing something as trivial as adding a single print
to the module (*not* library) code can be enough to send me into the
weeds again.

I've been debugging this using gdb 7.7.1 connected to a QEMU (x86-32)
2.0.0 target. My OS is Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and gcc is
4.8.4. One of the myriad issues with that particular setup is the bug
where, due to the compiler version, after I dig down a few levels into
the call stack gdb loses context and I go from symbolic debugging to
assembly language debugging. It should be noted that when I run the same
binary on my actual target I get the same results, so this isn't an
emulation issue.

Debugging this issue, I do see where, assembly-wise, the EIP gets
assigned an invalid address, and it's not the same place from
build-to-build, so I can't point to a particular source line that causes
the problem. Mostly it looks like the final link is putting together a
binary that steps on itself, but it's very unclear why.

I did try re-compiling the library with -Os rather than -O2 on the
assumption that mixing the two different optimization levels might be
causing a problem (yes, I know it shouldn't, but I've been fighting this
for a couple of weeks) and didn't see any difference. I also spent some
time with the linker script but was unable to find any magic that would
make the external library and module code to play nicely together. I
also tried a couple of other libraries with similar results.

Since all three libraries do work properly in other contexts, I'm pretty
confident this has something to do with how the syslinux build works.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a static library to link
properly with a com32 module?

Best regards,

Jeff Williams