[syslinux] 32bit OS on 64bit architectures

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 4 09:16:00 PDT 2017

> ok - i do understand the point. and i do guess the hint was also
> included in ady's answer.

Hmm... I'm not sure I understand. I do not recall any specific hint of
mine in this email thread.

"TL;DR":
 I (still) claim that Peter's statements in this email thread are
incorrect at this time.

I do not know whether the following clarification (or attempt of it) is
really needed / welcomed, but just in case...

Regarding the potential need, or choice, for someone to use a 32-bit
kernel nowadays, I have no problem, criticism, question, doubt... I
could find several reasons for such use-case, still in these days. I
took this detail as known data to be considered as part of the initial
matter/question. Hence, in my reply to Peter (hpa), I had nothing to
say about his question / phrase / comment regarding using a 32-bit
kernel (in these days).

On the other hand, my reply to Peter was very much focusing on his
claim regarding which UEFI bootloader(s) (i.e. x32/x64) is/are capable
of booting which kernel (32/64-bits) in which hardware (AFAICT,
"x86_64" is the only type of microprocessor that is relevant to this
matter in the Syslinux Mailing List). With all due respect, I think
Peter's claims are not correct.

As far as I can tell, several reports would indicate that my statements
about this matter are accurate at this time, and they contradict those
posted by Peter in this email thread.

When I replied to Peter's email, my only intention was (and still is)
to avoid potential misunderstandings from users/readers. If my
statements were not clear enough, or if my wording could be potentially
(mis)interpreted as hinting about some other matter(s), it wasn't my
intention and I apologize for it.

But, of course, I could also be wrong. If it turns out that my prior
email in this email thread included inaccurate / incorrect statements,
or if my current understanding of users' reports happens to be
incorrect in any way, I would appreciate a clarification and
explanations about the matter. I think a more-technical explanation
(perhaps based on actual source code?) would be a better way to clarify
the matter so as to avoid misunderstandings in the future.
Unfortunately, the chances that the main author of the relevant UEFI
code in Syslinux would read this email thread and reply here is very
low.

Regards,
Ady.

PS: