[syslinux] Module Versioning

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Wed Apr 12 00:35:03 PDT 2017

Hi,

Pete Batard via Syslinux:
> So I should point out that EFI/grub is actually used by the tails people to chain
> load EFI/Syslinux (hence the ldlinux.e64, ldlinux.c32 as well as isolinux.bin one
> also sees in /efi/boot/).

Wait, no, there's some misunderstanding going on here.

There are three cases for Tails, let me show you what's used in each case:

 * BIOS: isolinux/, business as usual
 * 64-bit UEFI: EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi, which is syslinux
 * 32-bit UEFI: EFI/BOOT/bootia32.efi, which is GRUB that loads the
   syslinux config with the syslinux_configfile directive; we do that
   due to the fact that the we can put only one set of *.c32 modules
   and syslinux configuration, for one single architecture, in
   EFI/BOOT; I'll look into commit 7d9c9ec ("Add architecture-specific
   config name to search") later as this might allow us to drop GRUB,
   which would make the whole thing a bit more straightforward

intrigeri