[syslinux] Module Versioning

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Wed Apr 12 02:14:22 PDT 2017

Hi,

Thomas Schmitt via Syslinux:
> intrigeri wrote:
>> JFTR Tails uses GRUB only for 32-bit UEFI. We use syslinux for BIOS
>> and 64-bit UEFI.

> In an ISO that shall boot from DVD ?

Tails supports UEFI boot *only* when installed to USB "properly"
(either with Tails Installer or Universal USB Installer), i.e.
the content of the ISO is extracted to a FAT filesystem.

OTOH the isohybrid "dd" installation method, and DVD boot, don't
support UEFI so far: in the context of the Tails installation user
story, these installation/boot methods are only meant to be used as an
intermediary step, and only recommended when installing from OSX (for
which we could not find any graphical USB installer that satisfied our
needs back when we looked, but perhaps we missed something).

> Please give me an download URL.

Looks like you've found it already:

> I just downloaded
>   http://dl.amnesia.boum.org/tails/stable/tails-i386-2.11/tails-i386-2.11.iso
> which has as volume id: 'TAILS 2.11 - 20170306'.
> It does not bear any boot starting points for EFI. Neither for DVD nor
> for HDD.

Correct.

> Knoppix 8.0 (distributed with german Linux Magazin issue 04/17) tries
> to handle EFI by SYSLINUX equipment.
> I could not yet make a test with real EFI and real DVD. But qemu+OVMF
> aborts when trying to boot via -cdrom (-hda works fine).
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2017/04/msg00000.html

> A problem with general discussion of its EFI equiment is that Knoppix 8.0
> is not yet available for download.

Thanks for the info.

> Have a nice day :)

You too :)