[syslinux] TFTP menu and input box

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Fri Apr 14 05:03:19 PDT 2017

Bonjour,

Le 13/04/2017 à 10:41, Alexandre Duplaix via Syslinux a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to ask you a little question : Is it possible to pass an argument through an input box (like for the password) to the initrd ? It could be very usefull for example to set a specific hostname !! Otherwise I have to it somewhere else after during the initrd decompression / execution.

I confirm what Gene just posted.

Not sure if that answerd your question, but the whole command line is copied to /proc/cmdline thus available to the initrd.

For instance you could suggest the user to append to the boot command line (set by the selected boot entry of the bootloader config file) something like
 hostname=myhost
Then hostname will be set to "myhost" system wide as soon as the initrd is loaded. You don't even have to parse the command line yourself, this is done automatically.

This is commonly used for instance to set the parameters needed by the brltty daemon to adapt it to the screen reader in use.

Have a good day/Bonne journée

Didier
http://slint.fr