[syslinux] boot fails on some system

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 14 12:04:42 PDT 2017

> "Missing operating system."
> "Operating System not found"
>
> and keep still ...  I can reboot the computer with Ctrl + Alt + Del.

A simple search in the Syslinux wiki (or even a web search) would tell
you that you are probably lacking the "boot" (aka "active") flag
enabled on the adequate (primary) partition.

After trying that, I would suggest, based on comments you previously
posted, for you to start by trying a simple one-and-only FAT partition,
on a simple USB flash drive, using one (live) distro, and only one.

Using multiple partitions, with the possibility of multiple different
distributions / tools while having enough compatibility with multiple
different systems at the moment seems to be (much) further down the
road. Moreover, there are auxiliary tools that can help
less-knowledgeable users, instead of doing all the steps manually. If
you have some Windows OS, there are even more auxiliary tools to choose
from, and with them, many web sites / forums dedicated to the matter.

Additionally, I would suggest reading, a lot. Just a basic page would
be the page about USB devices on the sysrescuecd site.

Regarding the system that is not booting, you might probably want to
check whether it is a UEFI system.

Finally, please consider that the specific directories in which you
install SYSLINUX and the location of specific files (and their
versions) are also part of the troubleshooting process.

Regards,
Ady.