[syslinux] menu.c32 background problem

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 17:00:46 PDT 2017

On 8/5/17, Ady Ady via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> Since you are using only 2 menu entries, would you consider the
> possibility of using the msg file(s) and the boot prompt, while
> avoiding the use of (vesa)menu.c32 for this particular project? If you
> do, there is room for improvements.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, I previously did not have a menu, for Puppy Linux and Quicky. It
is only now I am considering a menu. The example I gave was just an
example, I am thinking of more menu entries. For example:

This is using vesamenu.c32, example /EFI/BOOT/syslinux.cfg:

-----------
ui vesamenu.c32

menu title Easy OS
default normal
timeout 100

label normal
menu label Normal startup
kernel ../../vmlinuz
append root=/dev/sda3 rootwait rw

label nox
menu label Commandline only, do not start X
kernel ../../vmlinuz
append root=/dev/sda3 rootwait rw qfix=nox

label fsck
menu label Filsystem check of working partition
kernel ../../vmlinuz
append root=/dev/sda3 rootwait rw qfix=fsck

label bak
menu label Rollback to previous snapshot
kernel ../../vmlinuz
append root=/dev/sda3 rootwait rw qfix=bak

As I mentioned in the first post, there is a different problem when
using vesamenu.c32, a blinking cursor to left of the menu.

Here is a photo:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/project/temp/syslinux-vesamenu.jpg

...it blinks black and white.

Regards,