[syslinux] Can USBstikA boot USBstkB ?!

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 04:33:32 PST 2017

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 10:35 AM, eas lab via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> AIM: from <isolinux> on USBstikA,
>    boot Debian7 installation on USBstikB.

I thought we answered this but perhaps it's not the "Can I boot
ISOLINUX/SYSLINUX from USB-A and boot to USB-B" whose short answer is
"No" but long answer is "It depends on the BIOS/CSM mapping USB-B to
another device."

> Is it true that [critical but hidden facts]:
> <syslinux> is 16 bit, so 32 or 64 bit installations are not
> differentiated. The DOS 8.3 File ID restriction applies?

All BIOS Syslinux loaders (SYSLINUX, ISOLINUX, PXELINUX) start in
16-bit real mode but for the most part operate in 32-bit protected
mode.

No, the old DOS 8.3 filename restriction does not apply.

> It seems to me necessary to confirm that the existing TC64
> installer's isolinux.cfg can take an additional entry, for a
> 32bit installation on a DIFFERENT USBstik;
> plus the exact syntax of such additional entry.

So it seems to be the same question.

TC64 still has ISOLINUX.  The basics are to use chain.c32 to boot
USB-B:p3 but syntax depends.  Ideally, it's a modern enough Syslinux
version that you can use the "guid" or "label" options to auto-detect
its location rather than "chain.c32 hdN M".  Hopefully your FS
label/GUID is unique

--
-Gene