[syslinux] EFI PXE Server - pxelinux.0 equivalent?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 13:57:24 PST 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Locane via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> Hi all - I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask this here, but I
> don't see this question explicitly answered anywhere.

Here's the right place to ask.

> Is there an EFI version of "pxelinux.0" that will function basically
> the same way and read the same pxelinux.cfg/default menu files?

Sure, with architecture-specific caveats.  As of v6.00,
core/pxelinux.0 moved to bios/core/pxelinux.0 and you'll also need
bios/com32/elflink/ldlinux/ldlinux.c32

EFI32: efi32/efi/syslinux.efi efi32/com32/elflink/ldlinux/ldlinux.e32
EFI64: efi64/efi/syslinux.efi efi64/com32/elflink/ldlinux/ldlinux.e64

Most likely, you have an EFI64 firmware.

Bear in mind, that for the best experience, you will want to serve the
files from another directory (and copy/symlink the config) or you need
to build a more specific config that tells it to search for COM32s in
an architecture-specific directory.

> I've got a really dodgy grubx64.efi EFI PXE menu up at work, but it
> can't load the 1.2 gigabyte LiveCD that we use on all of our systems.

How are you loading this?  You can't expect MEMDISK to work as it's
BIOS-specific.  I'd suggest serving the ISO (or its contents) over a
network protocol (iSCSI, NFS, HTTP, etc) after the kernel is booted
(with appropriate initrd and/or kernel command line bits).

> Basically I just want to pick up my legacy PXE menu configurations and
> use them on a system that boots only through EFI PXE.  Is that
> possible?

To an extent, depending....

--
-Gene