[syslinux] kexec to syslinux

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:35:54 PST 2017

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Geert Stappers via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 06:33:35AM -0800, Jorge Almeida via Syslinux wrote:
>> Is it possible to kexec to the syslinux interface, thus bypassing the
>> hw initialization?
>> What would be the kexec command?
>>
>> kexec -l ??? --append=???   --initrd=???
>>

> So now the question that I see / read as:
>
> I have a running Linux kernel (or simular environment)
> and want to start with kexec the Syslinux bootloader (to start Linux)
>

> @Original Poster
> Please elaborate the question.

You understood correctly. From a running linux we can use kexec to
start another linux, rather than rebooting. Documentation about kexec
is not plentiful, but I read that kexec can launch a binary, not
necessarily a linux kernel, for example, Windows (which I don't care
about). Sorry I don't have the reference. I was wondering whether
kexec could "launch" the boot loader (which can do other things
besides launching linux, for example, it can do chainloading...; of
course, if all we want from the boot loader is loading another linux,
we might as well do it from the current linux)

Thanks

Jorge Almeida