[syslinux] How to show boot prompt and edit kernel cmdline from serial?

piranna at gmail.com piranna at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:05:30 PST 2017

> What's wrong with using "PROMPT 1" in your syslinux.cfg?

Nothing at all, in fact the solution I'm using is it combined with
TIMEOUT 1, and it works :-) It's not fully nice on regular usage to
have a useless "boot: " prompt for just one 1/10 seconds, but at least
it gives my test environment an opportunity to hook there, write
"NodeOS console=ttyS0" and start doing the boot on the terminal
instead of doing the regular boot on the QEmu window :-)

> Generally speaking, posting the entire cfg might help.

Just for the record, my (somewhat hacky) working syslinux.cfg file is:

SERIAL 0
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 1

DEFAULT NodeOS
LABEL NodeOS
  SAY Booting NodeOS...
  LINUX  bzImage
  INITRD initram.gz
  APPEND vga=0x318 ip=dhcp root=$USERSFS

It's really a template, the $USERSFS string is changed for the actual
UUID of the partition after it's being generated.

Unix."
– Linus Tordvals, creador del sistema operativo Linux