[syslinux] EFI64 Boot 32 bit kernel....

cwbshaw . cwbshaw at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 12:48:55 PDT 2017

Hi....

I am trying to TFTP netboot a 32bit linux kernel (4.11.3) via efi64
syslinux.efi.

If I build a 64 bit version of the same kernel, it TFTP netboots fine, but
if I build the kernel (same config options as 64 bit working version) as 32
bit, the PC reboots almost immediately after loading the kernel over TFTP.

I read before that support for loading 32 bit kernels in efi64 had been
added in syslinux 6.02:

http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-July/020427.html

....and the Changelog for 6.02 does list this as supported:

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Syslinux_6_Changelog#Changes_in_6.02

The version of syslinux I am using is syslinux 6.03....I have tried
6.04-pre1 and also building from source via git, but these versions never
get as far as even trying to boot the linux kernel....they seem to get
stuck trying to TFTP ldlinux.e64. Version 6.03 is the only one which gets
me as far as loading the kernel (and actually booting it in the case of a
64 bit kernel).

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to resolve this. Unfortunately,
for what I am doing I really need to TFTP netboot a 32 bit linux kernel via
EFI64 (long story).

Thanks in advance.

Chris Bradshaw.