[syslinux] Recommend verification - starting with version 6.0.4-pre1

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 06:35:43 PDT 2017

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 9:30 AM,  <mikezb at softhome.net> wrote:
> Gene Cumm:
>>
>> Please use reply all.  OP is a non-subscriber.
>> Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 3:26 AM, mikezb (via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com>)
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I recommend someone verify that tar.gz and tar.xz files ( at
>>> https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/ ) unpack without
>>> errors.
>>> (I assume use of compression is in hope of saving download bandwidth)
>>> Regards

>> What do you mean?  Is there a particular one that you observe an issue
>> with?
>> --
>> -Gene

> Yes.
> I wanted to try out a less-well-known Linux distribution ISO, and used a
> handy script to partition-and-format a storage device, unpack it, and make
> it bootable - but the script was set up for syslinux version 6.0.3, and this
> ISO apparently required version 6.0.4-pre1 instead.
> (I don't know whether it would have been compatible)
> I tried a more flexible script, but it had trouble unpacking
> syslinux-6.04-pre1.tar.xz for application; on inspection of the log, I found
> incomplete unpacking - at least 1 file (named advconst?) was compressed to
> zero-length.
> I suspect this was an error - the zip file worked.
> (It may be the only such occurrence; I haven't checked other files.)

No issue in the tarball.  Please check your extractor/file system.

lrwxrwxrwx hpa/hpa           0 2016-03-02 00:06
syslinux-6.04-pre1/libinstaller/advconst.h ->
../com32/include/syslinux/advconst.h

It's a symlink.  Some extractors might mess up.  Extracting onto a
file system that has no concept of a symlink like say FAT will also
have issues.

--
-Gene