[syslinux] Can USBstikA boot USBstkB ?!

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Wed Jun 14 11:13:05 PDT 2017

Le 14/06/2017 à 17:53, Didier Spaier a écrit :

> So IMHO this *should* allow to boot a system whose root partition is on
> an USB stick, provided that:
> _ the kernel (vmlinuz) written on the USB stick include the neede
>   drivers (I am not sure that it be the case for the version used by the
>   OP), as the stick does not include an initramfs with the relevant
>   modules,
> _ the root partition's name be correct,
> _ possibly a "rootdelay" or "rootwait" kernel parameter  be appended to
>   the command line.

Re-reading this maybe I was not clear enough:

_ The syslinux stuff and a kernel are on on USB stick A.
_ The root partition of the system we want to boot is
  on another USB stick (USB stick B).

Among the conditions I forgot to mention that the arch of the
kernel in USB stick A should be the same as that of the system
in USB stick B. (64/64 or 32/32).

Didier