[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sat Mar 18 17:14:01 PDT 2017

On 03/18/2017 04:15 PM, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:

>> On 03/18/2017 01:18 AM, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:
>>> _ With the USB device connected to (one of) the problematic
>>> computer(s), power up the system and get into the BIOS setup. In
>>> the BIOS setup screen(s), change the boot order in such way that
>>> the USB device is recognized as first boot device. Other devices
>>> such as CD-ROM and your local HDD should be listed after the USB
>>> device in the boot order (as second/third boot devices). Then
>>> save the BIOS settings and try booting with the USB device.
>>
>> I have adjusted the boot order in BIOS setup, but it is unnecessary
>> -- the only other drive is a CD/DVD-RW drive, and it does not
>> contain a disc.
>
> You probably mean in addition to a HDD, right?

The computer has a HDD mobile rack.  I removed the HDD when testing the
Debian installer image on a USB flash drive.  So, the only drive other
than the USB flash drive under test was the optical drive.

>>> _ If the BIOS setup includes some "fast (POST) boot" or "quick
>>> (POST) boot" (or similar) option, disable it.
>>
>> Already done.
> What exactly was "done"?

BIOS SETUP UTILITY -> Boot:

- Silent Boot is Disabled

- Intel(R) Rapid BIOS Boot is Disabled

> Which USB modes this BIOS supports? USB-AUTO? USB-HDD?...

Please see previous post for USB settings.  That's all that is available
-- there is no "USB-AUTO", "USB-HDD", etc..

David