[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

Martin Str|mberg ams at ludd.ltu.se
Sun Mar 19 22:41:12 PDT 2017

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> So if we had a MBR which prints the content of the first 512 read bytes
> we could tell whether they are block aligned and from which block they
> come.

Ok. I'll try. Is it the isohdppx or isohdpfx (or both) that is
relevant?

Meanwhile I have a hacked isohdppx.bin that prints:
G if GPT
M if MBR
<nothing> if no partition info
E if EBIOS
C if not EBIOS (from "CHS").

For isohdpfx.bin it will print:
E if EBIOS
C if not EBIOS (from "CHS").

Is that interesting for you/us?

Further how do I test that I haven't done anything really stupid?
I have debian install .isos e. g. debian-8.7.0-i386-CD-1.iso and
debian-8.7.0-i386-DVD-1.iso. I can boot these with qemu. But where
shall I insert this creation of mine.

--
MartinS