[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sun Mar 19 23:02:34 PDT 2017

On 03/19/2017 08:30 PM, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> That's because your syslinux.cfg is "wrong", but the behavior just
> proves that SYSLINUX is indeed booting.
>
> # ***syslinux.cfg***
> DEFAULT mylabel
> LABEL mylabel
> LINUX vmlinuz
> APPEND initrd=initrd.gz
> # ******************

The USB flash drive boots the Debian installer in the old PC!

> So the system is bootable, and the others (those old P4) will be too.
> From now on, it is about what additional "append" parameters you
> want/need or about configuring whatever Debian wants/needs on each
> system. That's for Debian (and its community) to support (hint: the cfg
> files in the ISO image should give you a first clue, and they can
> probably be used almost as-is).

There is no syslinux.cfg on debian-8.7.1-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso:

2017-03-19 22:39:42 dpchrist at jesse ~
$ find /media/dpchrist/Debian\ 8.7.1\ i386\ 1/ -name syslinux.cfg
<nothing>

Thanks, everyone, for your patience and assistance.  :-)

I will try to do an install later, and will report the result.

David