[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sun Mar 19 23:28:15 PDT 2017

On 03/19/2017 09:42 PM, Martin Str|mberg via Syslinux wrote:
> David Christensen wrote:
>> This is how I prepared an ADATA USB Flash Drive 4 GB:
> install-mbr /dev/sdb
> [Rest of very clear description snipped.]
>
> What's that? That desn't exist in the Debian I'm running.
> Otherwise you gave a very good description of what you're doing.

https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-flexible

The install-mbr command is contained in the mbr Debian package.

> From another message:
>> Please provide a URL for documentation that explains how to build a
>> bootable USB flash drive equivalent to debian-8.7.1-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso.
>
> x3!
>
> Well it would be very easy to reply: why don't you ask Debian?

I did.  They sent me here.

The answer to my question is the above URL, my post of 03/19/2017 04:03
PM (PDT), and Ady Ady's post of 03/19/2017 08:30 PM (PDT).

My USB flash drive now boots into the Debian 8.7.1 i386 Xfce installer
on my old PC.

> How/Why should/could we know what Debian has done?

Because you are gods?  ;-)

> But you gave a very good desription so here is what I do that I
> wrote/pasted to a file while doing it. ...

I'll keep your recipe in mind if I run into trouble.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience and assistance.  :-)

I will try to do an install later, and will report the result.

David