[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Mar 20 00:51:46 PDT 2017

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 05:18:21PM -0700, David Christensen via Syslinux wrote:
> On 03/19/2017 09:05 AM, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> > Now, besides this whole discussion and with no reference to anyone in
> > particular nor offense intended, I have to admit that I am a little bit
> > tired of answering questions related to how an ISO image either fails
> > or succeeds when booting from USB (we both have been part of these
> > discussions during the last few years) . I am very much aware that
> > maintainers of Linux distributions want to keep distributing _only_ ISO
> > images and they want to support _only_ the "simple" dd method, in spite
> > of the fact that for the most part optical media is not being used for
> > these purposes anymore. At the same time that distro maintainers want
> > to "simplify" their workload, The Syslinux Project keeps ignoring the
> > matter. Although these words could be interpreted in a negative manner
> > (not my intention), the point is about actual positive effects: let's
> > try to provide some kind of simple path to move forward, considering
> > that distro maintainers and Syslinux' developers won't.

As I see it, it is the story of four wellknown people
Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.

   There was an important job to be done and Everybody
   was sure that Somebody would do it.

   Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

   Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

   Everybody thought that Anybody could do it,
   but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

   It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody
   when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Being Nobody boils down into helping Somebody. It is no by-passing of
Anybody, nor telling that Everbody has the wrong expections.

It is Somebody accepting the help from Nobody.

> I used debian-8.7.1-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso because that is what Debian
> makes available.
>

> I have experienced problems with Debian's "isohybrid" images, USB
> flash drives, and older computers for many years.  So long as the
> computer had an optical drive, I had a work-around.  Now I have a
> computer without an optical drive, and I decided to try to get to
> the bottom of the problem.
>

> I have had better luck using "memstick.bin", etc., images produced
> by other projects (Memtest86+, FreeBSD).
>

> If someone knows of a Debian 8.7.1 i386 Xfce installer
> "memstick.bin" image, please provide a URL.

I do vaguely remember seeing memtest86+ in an advanced level
of a Debian boot menu. It could be on an allready installed system,
it could be on a to be installed system. I haven't checked.
Thing I'm telling: I think it is allready available.

> If someone knows of a document that explains how to build a
> "memstick.bin" image with the Debian 8.7.1 i386 Xfce installer on
> it, please provide a URL.

First build an unmodified version of the XFCE installer.
Then add the memtest option.

How to build d-i is documented at https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build

Groeten
Geert Stappers