[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Mar 21 01:14:53 PDT 2017

Hi,

David Christensen wrote:
> Booting the USB flash drive I prepared, the Debian installer runs:
> [...]
> The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot be used for installation.

Afaik, the software in a Debian ISO looks for particular files to
identify the device with the ISO.
Did you copy the whole file tree of the ISO to the USB stick filesystem ?
Including things like the /.disk directory ?

Well, SYSLINUX did its job of booting.

> Should I be asking on the debian-boot or debian-cd mailing lists?

Yep, debian-cd at lists.debian.org should be the right one.
I'd tell briefly what i did to set up the stick. If i had to equip a .cfg
file with an APPEND instruction which loads Linux, then i would show
that .cfg file.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas